So, you want to make your own stilts? Awesome!!
You will need the following things:
- 2 pieces of 2″ x 2″ cut long (more in a minute). We prefer cedar.
- 2 pieces of 2″ x 2″ cut to 4 inches
- 2 pieces of 2″ x 4″ cut to 6 inches
- 2 pieces of 1/2″ to 3/4 inch plywood
- 4 bolts at 4-4.5″ (depending on your plywood) and their nuts.
- 4 bolts at 5.5″ and their nuts. All 8 bolts need only have threading at the ends.
- Some foam
- A drill
To cut the long 2×2, you will need to measure your leg. Put on your favorite stilting boot and measure from the bottom of the boot to your knee, where the top of the stilt to be. We like it just under the knee-cap but individual preferences will vary. This will typically be between 16 and 18 inches for an adult.
Next, decide how tall you want the stilt to be. Just trying things out? Start with 12″ or so. Feeling a bit more adventurous? Go for 24″ or more.
Once you’ve got everything figured out, assemble as shown below. Make sure your two stilts are opposite each other. It’s easy to end up with two lefts.
After you’ve got the stilt put together, tape your foam into the knee area for padding.
Finally, cut up some bed-sheets to tie yourself in. Stay tuned for those instructions.